From: "Dan Heath" <da...@windstream.net>
To: "'KRnet'" <kr...@mylist.net>, "'Corvair engines for homebuilt aircraft'"
<corvaircr...@mylist.net>
Subject: KR> W & B on Black Bird with Corvair
Date: Thu, Nov 3, 2011 8:16 pm

The Black Bird is 30 pounds heavier with the Corvair installed than it was
with the VW installed.  Some of that is in the lighter cowling on the
Corvair.  I will weigh them both, so I can isolate the difference to just
the complete engine installation.  Total weight of this KR2 is 750 pounds.

With full fuel and me in the plane, the W & B comes out .5 inch forward of
CG.  With the fuel now Aft of CG, of course, as it burns off, that will move
the CG more forward.  When it gets down to 6 gallons, which is probably as
low as I will ever flight plan for, it is 1.5 inches forward of center.  The
calculations say that I can carry full fuel, 21.2 gallons and a 180 pound
passenger and be .002 aft of the aft limit.  Of course my aft limit is the
new standard of 2" aft of center.

The 2nd first flight is now planned for Saturday morning.  If nothing
breaks, it looks like I will make CC21 in Barnwell.

See N64KR at  <http://krbuilder.org/> http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on
the pics

See you at the 2011 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il - MVN

There is a time for building and it never seems to end.

Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC