On 12/3/2011 8:21 PM, Dave Dunwoodie wrote:
> Everything I installed simply mirrored the stub. cable
> examples that came with the various radios - double shielded teflon
> coax.  Of all of the cables available, my favorite is RG-142 B/U.
Agreed. I was looking for the double shielded aircraft equivalent of
RG-8x  but couldn't come up with it at the moment.. Thanks. Losses are
0.13db/meter.  Every 1 db is approx a 20 percent loss from the starting
value. Every 3db is a 50 percent loss. Every 10 db is a loss of 90
percent from the starting value. Even small losses make a difference, so
it is best to minimize them. Rg-142 is just what the doctor ordered,
although on the  transponder  I would keep the coaxial lead as short as
you can get away with or go with RG393. It would be ideal to have the
transponder control head at the panel and the transmitter close to the
actual antenna. At 1030 and 1090 MHz those "small losses" are pretty
pronounced.  GREAT point about grounding the shield on only one end to
eliminate ground loops. Take THAT advice VERY seriously.

--
Glenn Martin,
KR2 N1333A,