I just finished getting a Corvair engine built and installed.  With motor
mount, prop, and all the other stuff including having the engine built by
the best professional Corvair Engine builder I know, the cost was somewhere
around $15,000.  So, it seems to me that taking a chance with a $1500
investment is a very small risk.  Also, if you get it torn down and then
decide that you don't want to continue on that track, I will bet that the
parts could be sold for more than you paid for it.  There is something to be
said for having standard airplane stuff that is designed to go on an
airplane and is compatible with other airplane stuff.

Please don't misconfuse this statement with my level of satisfaction with my
engine.  Right now, I would not trade it for any other engine because it is
the most smooth engine I have ever flown behind.  However, if I were at your
stage in a project, I would give the Lycoming a shot.

My level of expertise on this issue is that I stayed at a Holiday Inn
Express last night...

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2012 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il – MVN – 40th
Anniversary
There is a time for building and it never seems to end.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC