I hate to air my dirty laundry...but here goes.  Ok let me set the scene for
you.  Student pilot, 25 hrs TT, been taking lessons @ Keesler AFB in Miss, move
to Dover AFB in Del and now flying from Smyrna Apt a grass strip in Oct '84.
So anyway I take off after my new instructor checks me out for solo again.  Fat
dumb and happy and overly confident as many students are I take to the air.
Cold air that is, probably 45-50 degrees that day.  So, I am doing pattern work
because grass is a new thing for me after spending all that time on the paved
AF runway in the south where I had not seen a temperature below 75 degrees.  I
am on final to RWY 9 having successfully dodged the water tower on base, glide
path seems a bit low but that's no problem.  Back at Keesler we had that big
500' overrun with a nice cushion of hot air to flare in.  So in my mind I am
thinking just flare and float and wait and it will all work out.  So I flare
100 feet short and
 immediately settle into the newly cut corn field.  Damn!  Not what I expected
and it got bumpy quick but that was not the worst of it.  Coming up fast was
the last furrow of the field and it was probably 12 inches higher than the
grass runway.  So all I could do was haul back on the yoke and hope it would
pop over the furrow...  It worked... I taxied in to the parking spot,  shut her
down, and promptly told my instructor what had happened.  I pretty much had
figured out what happened at this point but we talked about it and he asked if
I needed more dual and I declined.  Live and Learn