Rich,
As a CFII for 28 years now I may be able to shed some light on this.
First off all experience is good experience. Over the years I have soloed a few
students in experimental aircraft that were students and not private pilots.
There's nothing illegal about it. It takes more time to do though typically
because of the increased performance over aircraft designed for training.
The big problem will be getting a CFI to sign you off for solo in an aircraft
with that much performance. I would have no problem in a Sonex but I would have
second thoughts in a KR.
Next would be getting an examiner to give you a check ride. We were lucky to
get an examiner to do a check ride in a Velocity with someone last year.
Doing part of it in the KR as you suggest is fine and encouraged as long as you
have dual controls.
The other issue is the CFI must have 5 hours in type before he can instruct in
it. And he must be small in size.
In flight instruction and check rides the term certificated means that it has
an airworthiness certificate and not a temporary. The pilot who flys off the
restricted time must be at least licensed in class, ie LSA, Private,
Recreational etc.
Victor Taylor
CFII Irvington, Al.

Sent from my iPhone