Hi Dan, I am in Lexington this week, are you willing to meet to look over the
Blackbird?
Bob McClure

________________________________
 From: Dan Heath <da...@windstream.net>
To: 'KRnet' <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 6:04 AM
Subject: RE: KR> Thoughts and ideas on stretching the wingspan

I have the Diehl wing skins on my KR2.  They are definitely "extended".  I
see NO issues with them.  These extended wings have been flying for many
years on many KR, both the 2 and 2S.  Also, I understand that Mark L. has
extended his wings with the new airfoil.  Also, consider that when
discussing the "design" limitations of the KR, that it has a "design" gross
weight of something like 960 pounds or something near that.  This plane is
consistently flown at 1200 pounds gross, or more.  I am not recommending
that, but I know that many KR are coming in at near 800 pounds empty weight.
Mine is 750 empty and fly's great with 185 pounds of me and 21 gallons of
fuel.

I think, and I know someone will correct me if I am wrong about this, that
the RAF48 has a lower stall speed than does the "new wing".

If you are shooting for "Light Sport", you will have to build it very light
and will have to use the longer wings for a lower stall speed as there is no
way you will even have a chance of getting there with the stock KR2 or 2S.

Having said that, keep in mind that there is a very strong move by EAA and
AOPA to allow another category of operation that will allow you to fly
without having to get an FAA medical.  That may take a while.  You may want
to consider building a plane that already meets the LSA category
qualifications as you may spend a long time and a lot of money building a
KR, only to find out that you cannot meet the stall speed requirement.

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2012 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il ? MVN ? 40th
Anniversary
There is a time for building and it never seems to end.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC

-----Reply Message-----

    DO NOT DO IT. The design was for what it is. Stresses
    calculated for the existing span.