For aluminum protection: Watch the EAA Hints for Homebuilders video and do
what Brian Carpenter says.  It works!
http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints

Anodize is the best (and pricey) aluminum treatment, but next best is
alodine and doable by anyone right on your work bench at home.
Zinc chromate is a good primer for a finish coat of a spray paint, but next
to worthless for aluminum metal protection.  Powder coat is a great looking
finish and will provide excellent protection as long as the surface does not
crack or get scratched to the bare metal.  Corrosion can then happily eat
away under the best looking part and you will not know it until the paint
can no longer support the load that the metal used to carry.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA
smw...@md.metrocast.net

I'd also appreciate any specific suggestions for aluminum protection.
 From Sonex builders' sites I seem to remember there's a zinc chromate
(?) spray that people use.  What do you think is best?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Seth