Ed and Dan wrote:

If you can convince the FAA that you built at least 51%....

Actually this is a misnomer - the regs state that at least 51% of the
aircraft must be amateur built (AB). That 51% can be built my numerous hands
and that's why the FAA published the Advisory Circular 20-27G in 2009 which
includes a checklist for determining what was AB built and what was
commercially built. I did some investigating on this last year and touched
based with the local FSDO and they said they would use that checklist to
help determine (1) if it could be licensed as an AB and (2) help them to
make a determination if a repairman's certificate can be issued. I think if
you bought a 90% or better project you could still obtain a repair
certificate, if one hasn't been issued and if you can convince the FSDO that
you know enough about the structure and operating systems to determine if is
in a condition for safe flight. I think a good approach is to develop a
checklist of the items you plan on checking when you do your annual and
present it to the FAA for review and comment.

A repair certificate is nice to have but a lack of one is not a show
stopper. Any A&P can sign off the annual condition inspection - I think
after the A&P looks over your shoulder while you are performing the
inspection and you satisfy him he won't have a problem signing your logbook.

Rick Human
N202RH
Houston, Tx