I think this lightest aircraft is not a KR. It looks to me like a
clean sheet project and I'd like to know more about it.

As to reinventing the KR, even ken rand "reinvented" the plane in a
number of way including creating the KR2, and other major and minor
developments.  many see experimental aircraft as an opportunity to
learn, as they are described in the regs, and so we try things.  You
make tradeoffs. you want less cost, you may add weight, or vice versa.

I am trying to make my project as faithful to the first KR1 as
possible but it will need to be a trigear because thats what i know
how to land best and its safer.  a good example of worthwhile
reinventing the wheel.  also, the original had a short nose due to the
c-channel engine mounting system right against the firewall. however
that necessitated the belt driven magneto which is why there is a
shelf at the top of f/w. do you really want a belt driven mag?  that
was resolved by moving the engine forward onto a traditional tubular
mount.

I may have other options including electronic ignition.  more
reinventing.  maybe I will never even build this thing to completion.
but as long as I am trying, reinventing the 46 year old(!) design will
be a part of it to some extent.