Robert;

Yes, there have been a lot of Krs that have had fiberglass covered over the
fuselage.  Mine, N54PB is one of them, I covered mine so as to aid in the
finish paint as well as to seal and protect the wood.  Yes, it does add some
weight but my plane flies just fine and I made it into a KR2 SINGLE place to
keep the gross weight down.

Hope this gives you some ideas and confidence in the Kr.

Two things that I will mention here in case anyone is building the KR with the
original retract system;

1.  the planes call for AN 3 bolts to be used to attach the gear legs to the
spring bar…DO NOT use AN 3 bolts, they are TO SMALL, use AN 5 in their place.

2. The original gear locks are a accident waiting to happen, redesign those
locks with a positive shear bolt arrangement to ensure their locking and not
coming unlocked during landing.

3. Most krs are heavier than the plans call for, it is hard to go anywhere
legally with out radios and electrical systems, I suggest installing a heavier
landing gear spring bar if your weight is normally above the published gross
weight of 900#.

Don’t ask me how I know the importance of these two flaws in the original Rand
Robinson design.

The Kr is a very docile tail dragger on the ground, the original design is very
pitch sensitive in the air, I lengthened the stick to help prevent PIO, pilot
induced oscillations.  My suggestions for improving the original design is to
lengthen the fuselage by 18” to 24”, increase the area of the ailerons and keep
it as light as possible.

I had a total of 1 hour of logged tail dragger time when I flew my bird the
first time.  I had many other hours in various tail draggers as a co-pilot
passenger but not much time in actual landings.  The Kr with its wide landing
gear is very easy to taxi and has very little tendency to ground loop.

I have over 4000 hours of jet simulator, the real ones, and was very glad that
most of those simulator hours were in F4-D and E models when I first flew
N54PB, I also had a large dry lake to fly off from for the first test flight.
The F4 simulator and aircraft are quit pitch sensitive also and my experience
in them helped me quickly overcome the tendency to over control on the first
and latter flights of my KR-2.

Thanks
Parley Byington
N54PB Kr-2