I remember a discussion on the liquid cooled VW heads a long time ago.
Not sure how many ever got installed or why they stopped making them.
Here is a link to Great Plains page for them.

http://www.greatplainsas.com/bf2004.html

I know that one of the major advantages to liquid cooled engines is that
the pistons and cylinders are made with much smaller clearances because
the temperature of the engine stays relatively constant so less
expansion and contraction with the different metals.  If you don't have
cylinders and pistons that are made with the lower clearances some of
the advantages of liquid cooling go away and not sure if they made
different pistons for the liquid cooled VW.

Brian Kraut
904-536-1780
br...@eamanuacturing.com