I've got a square-shaped Facet as a transfer pump from a wing tank to the
header.  Despite being left on and running dry surely more than once
during my plane's long life, it continues to turn on and pump fuel
without fail.

I have two independently wired pumps (primary and back-up) drawing from
the header and pushing fuel to the top-mounted Ellison.  As I write this
I can't recall who makes them but they look just like a fuel filter,
silver cylinders with an inlet on one end and outlet on the other.  If it
weren't for the electrical terminals they could easily be confused with
the fuel filters mounted just upstream of the pumps..  These have never
failed.

Flying along one day I turned off the fuel pump to see how long the
engine would run without the pump.  As in Mark Jones' experience, the
engine continued to run as if the pump was still on.  That was a nice
surprise.  My guess is it's siphoning  since the Ellison is higher than
the fuel level in the tank except when the tank is full.

Mike Stirewalt
KSEE

.