For those who have Android phones (or Iphones) check out A-EFIS at:
http://www.talosavionics.com/

They have a free version in black and white that will provide attitude indicator, compass, T & B, GPS info with altitude and speed.  If  you want color, there is a charge ($50+) for that option.  If your phone does not have the necessary sensors, they offer an additional box with all that is required - for a larger fee.   It might be cheaper to buy a used phone with the sensors needed if you do not wish to expand options.  The program can be downloaded from Apple or Google as appropriate.

Calibration is required initially (which is easy) and the horizon etc. can be adjusted as required for the installation angle, response sensitivity and units to be displayed.  (mph/knots, ft/meters, etc.)

I have an old Samsung Galaxy II which works fine with that free program.  I don't know whether the display dimming can be disabled on all phones or not, but probably so in the settings options for the phone being used.

At zero cost, it is difficult to be critical of this as an option for use or as a trial.

The above is offered FYI, not as a sales pitch.

George

---