Hi

I have flown many hours behind an EA81 in a Jodel D18, G-WIBB. The engine is direct drive and probably only produces 45-50 HP in that configuration but it runs like a sewing machine and has covered around 450 hours without any major problems. The radiator is from an Austin Metro and the engine never overheats, regardless of how long you spend ground running or climbing. It is definitely heavier than a VW but it is totally reliable.

Duncan

On 31/08/2017 11:36, Hendrik van Rooyen via KRnet wrote:
Tx Mark,

I have decided against the idea. You raised very valid points and I agree
totally. I'll stick to the Rotax 582 as I have many hours behind the type. This
Subaru offer appeared out of the blue and hence my initial consideration. 100hp
sounded so attractive, but not at the price that comes with it (problems).

Kind regards,

Henni

-----Original Message-----
From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-boun...@list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of Mark Langford
via KRnet
Sent: Thursday, 31 August 2017 12:31 PM
To: krnet@list.krnet.org
Cc: Mark Langford <m...@n56ml.com>
Subject: Re: KR> Subaru EA81

Henni wrote:

  >> What is your experience on the KR2 powered by the Subaru EA81  >>
converted to 100hp?

I feel sure Steve Makish or Bob Lester will eventually comment, but they were
big fans of the Subaru and flew behind them for many hours.  I believe they'll
tell you that the main crank bores in the case simply couldn't take it and
needed to be replaced more often than you'd expect.
They are also quite heavy, especially when you factor in the cooling system and
water.

And as I've said quite often, I think it's a bad idea to use a water cooled
automotive engine in an airplane, unless it comes complete with the cooling
system assembled to the engine already (and none exist that way).  The reason
is that YOU become the cooling engineer, and it's not as simple as it looks.
Contact! magazine is full of stories of various water cooled installations
boiling over on climbout on the the first flight.  Imagine flying a plane on
its first flight, with a plan to go to altitude, determine IAS stall speed so
you'll have a clue of landing speed, getting used to how the plane flies and
responds to input, but you never get there.  300' off the ground it boils over
and blows steam all over the canopy, and the temp gauge is in the red.  You are
completely screwed...you've got to get it on the ground before the engine locks
up, with zero experience as to how the plane flies, and now you're pressed to
do a very shortened landing with a quick u-turn thrown in for good measure, and
you can barely see where you're going! I've heard that story too many times.
It's too easy to create a place in the system where steam gathers and prevents
proper circulation of the coolant, and the problems start.  You'd think a
proper ground runup vetting would show these kinds of problems before they
occur, but apparently not.  I'm not saying all installations are like this, but
it's a failure mode that air-cooled engines simply don't have.  Both Steve and
Bob swapped their Subarus for Corvairs, and seemed very happy with them.

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com
http://www.n56ml.com