      From: Kayak via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
 To: KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Cc: Kayak <kayak1...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 8:21 PM
 Subject: Re: KR> Weed Eaters

I owned and flew an Avid flyer with a Jabiru 2200.  I really couldnt
bring myself to fly behind a 2 stroke which is why I bought one with
the Jab.  I have friends who swear by the 2 strokes, but the fact is
they have more 'issues'. As to another aspect, the Jab was too nose
heavy for the avid design and the fixes are difficult. That airframe
was designed for a light 2 stroke out front. Over time, they got
heavier all way around and nose heavy. It still flew nicely at power,
but pull the power back and it was a lawn dart unless you corrected
with lots of up trim and some aft stick pressure. (and the CG was well
in envelope).  If the plane had sufficient baggage, it was much better
at lower power settings.

The KR seems like its geometrically friendly to heavier engines. And
(from my readings, havent built mine yet) can get tail heavy quick as
Mark found out hauling those engine parts.  This is actually a great
problem to have from my perspective. Stuff a Corvair on the front and
it's (apparently) not nose heavy!

So, I just cant imagine how a 582 would work out with CG. And my Avid
experience showed that in envelope doesnt always mean flies well.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Luis Claudio via KRnet
<krnet@list.krnet.org> wrote: so my point is that there is a place for
these engines in experimental A/C but not sure if the KR is the proper
platform for those engines... just my thoughts.