Like Henri!

That is a very chilling story.

I’m with Jeff to some extent on questioning the ability of wing based VG’s to
limit spins, however they have been proven and certified to increase control
surface effectiveness.

In the twins and Lake Amphibs I’ve flown, they are massively effective at
increasing control effectiveness in critical flight regimens.  In twins, VG’s
on the tail massively increase single engine safety by maintaining yaw control
(thereby preventing a spin), and in flying boats theVG’s in front of control
surfaces (rudder, elevator and aileron) lend control in case of pre- flight
speed take offs that happen if you hit a wake and are launched into the air.

Taking a lesson from my Osprey 2, my son’s KR _will_ have a full cord stall
fence between the stub and outer panel.  Stall fence’s are very easy to make
and install (especially in designs with stub wings), they are light, have very
little drag, are pretty cool looking, and are very effective at delaying
turbulent flow spread to the outer wing.  Some think they are only for swept
wings, but detailed testing has proven them effective on GA aircraft and I know
they improved the near stall characteristics of the Osprey.

I am on the fence (ha) about installing VG’s on Cedric’s KR.   Since the KR is
really designed for speed, the improved low end control may not be worth the
high end performance penalty.   Additionally, VG’s make cleaning a the wing
bloody miserable.

If I was re-building the wing, I’d love to come up with a light weight and
simple retractable VG’s installation such that they are flush at high speed.

But after reading that story, I’m pretty sure NO practice spins in Cedric's KR
and possibly VG’s on the rudder.

Hey you flying KR guys - what are your experiences with spin recovery?

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST TO GO OUT AND SPIN YOUR KR!

Cheers,
Owen Hughes