Hi Everybody,

My name is Martin Turner, and I live just outside Charlotte, NC.  I just joined
the group, and this will be my first post.  I'm about to finish my private
pilot certificate, within a few weeks, and am looking for a plane I can use to
build time and make some cross country trips.  I hope to fly quite a bit, and
I'm sure that owning something like a KR-2 would be less much expensive than
renting.  My flying has all been done in Cessna 172s and Cessna 150s, and
because of that I'm looking for a tricycle gear pane.

KR-2 N395JT is for sale, and I'm thinking of buying it.  It was discussed here,
on KRNet, several years ago when it was involved in a forced landing from an
engine out.  The plane belonged to its builder, William Walsh, at that point.
I have some questions about the history of the plane, and I hope some folks
here, maybe even Mr. Walsh himself, can provide some answers.

1.) After the crash in 2006, who repaired the plane?  Was it Mr. Walsh, or one
of the later owners?
2.) The plane is currently showing 164 hours on the tach.  I'm wondering how
many hours were on it at the time it crashed, to get an idea of how much it has
been flown since.
3.) Was the engine torn down and inspected or rebuilt after the crash?  It has
a Revmaster 2100D, which was not running at the time of the crash, but the nose
did hit the ground hard enough to vault the plane over onto its back.  I don't
even know if this is the same engine that was in the plane.
4.) What damage was done and what repairs were made?
5.) I noticed that the plane's empty weight is 637 lbs, which seems a bit
heavy.  I'm wondering if the repairs were responsible for the extra weight.
6.) The manual says the plane's gross weight is 1200 lbs, but that doesn't
match with the specs I've seen online.  Is that normal?  Is it an achievable
gross weight, or is that dreaming?  I would like to put about 440 lbs of humans
in it and make a 500 mile trip.  Is that a reasonable goal for a KR2
(specifically this one)?
7.) The plane has not been flown since it was last sold in 2012.  The current
owner has started it a couple of times a year, until this year when the battery
gave up.  It has been in a hanger in Florida the whole time.  How much trouble
am I likely to find in the engine?
8.) The registration was never transferred from the previous owner, and is now
expired.  How much trouble will I have with that?  The current owner has an FAA
bill of sale, showing that he took ownership from the previous owner, so I'm
hoping it will be simple to transfer and re-register.

OK, feel free to tell me what I'm getting myself into.  I've been a KR fan for
years, but have never ridden in one.  I did grow up just down the road from Mt.
Vernon, IL, if that buys me any credit. ;)

Thanks in advance, and I hope to join the KR family,

Marty