> ********************

> Jason comments that "Running out of aileron in crosswinds was a new
experience for me."

> I've never had that happen to me. If my memory is faulty and I indeed
did have a crosswind strong enough to overpower my ailerons, it's
possible I kicked in enough rudder to help the ailerons do their job. If
this has ever happened to me, it was a situation that lasted for only an
instant. If asked, I would say the KR's ailerons are effective enough to
counter anything they might run into.

> Jeff Scott lands with strong, often extreme crosswinds on a daily basis .
. . so perhaps he would comment on whether winds ever overpower his
ailerons.

> ***************

Since my name came up; sure, I'll comment.

I have routinely operated my KR with crosswind components up to 15 knots for
the last 20 years.  At 7200' MSL, if you correct for the density altitude of
typically 8 - 10,000', that trues the crosswind up to around 18 knots as my
self imposed limit for sea level conditions, not including the gust factor.
Generally speaking, if the crosswind factor is much in excess of 15 kts, or the
gust factor is in excess of 25 kts, I'll go find a different airport. I haven't
ever run out of aileron or rudder in my current configuration under those
conditions, but this is really a matter of every KR handles differently because
builders all modify the plane in varying degrees to suit themselves.  I flew my
KR 500 hours before I enlarged the horizontal stab, elevator, and rudder, and
added large drag producing flaps.  Prior to those modifications, my self
imposed base crosswind limit was 10 kts.  That meant that I missed out on a lot
of flying days at my home airport, and periodically had to land at a different
airport.  After making those mods, I fly in pretty much the same conditions as
most any other plane.

As Mike alluded in his post, the plane is very vulnerable during that time you
are transitioning from flying to rolling.  Adding drag producing devices to
help avoid floating, adding additional rudder to help to square up the plane in
crosswinds, and adding a significantly larger horizontal stab and elevator to
reduce PIO tendencies made my plane much easier to land and allowed me to
increase my crosswind limits by 50%.  IMHO, that's a significant increase.

In very gusty winds, I simply add enough power to continue floating down the
runway and land between the gusts.  That's why drag producing devices are a
necessity in those circumstances.  I mentioned landing between the gusts at the
Gathering a couple of weeks ago.  I think the other pilots thought I was
pulling their collective legs.

My home airport is also a one way in and one way out airport, so landing with
rear quartering crosswinds is also a common practice.  A 15G25 wind that is
coming across from about 30 - 60 degrees behind the wing is probably the most
challenging as you lose rudder and elevator effectiveness at a point when you
are still rolling fast enough that flight controls are really needed and the
wind is trying to weather-vane you around backwards.  As the winds get farther
behind towards a tailwind, you spend a lot less energy fighting the crosswind,
but will be landing really fast and will lose elevator and rudder effectiveness
at a pretty high speed, so gusts from the rear will want to push the plane onto
it's nose, which can make braking kind of exciting under those circumstances.

FWIW, Los Alamos (KLAM) is now my "former" home airport.  My KR and SuperCub
have been relocated to their new home, I've sold my hangars, and will be moving
shortly.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM