Jeff mentions the Franklin 4 cylinder engine in this piece he wrote.  I
have some experience with this engine - the 0-235 125 HP form of it.  The
one I worked on and flew with for a few months was called a "Sport 4".
It was identical to their factory model but was sold to homebuilders as a
kit engine!  The Franklin Sport 4.   What a great idea that was, but
ahead of its time.  Manufacturing eventually went to Poland.  It's a very
old company and extremely well thought of by those who have these engines
and work with them.  Parts can require a bit of sleuthing but quite a few
 sources are out there since there's still a whole lot of Franklins
beating about the world.  Stinsons and some other planes came from the
factory with Franklins and many helicopters - in fact it became well
known for it's durability and reliability in the helicopter application.

Jeff mentions the pitfalls and I'm sure finding old parts put in as new
may be common, but if someone has an opportunity to lay their hands on
one of these engines please do so and take it apart.  It's a different
design than the ordinary Lycoming and Continental.  It's got a top plate
that runs the length of the crank - the plate comes off and there you
have the entire bottom end to inspect and work on as necessary without
having to drain the sump.  It's a very common-sense design.  It impressed
me as a very trustworthy, smooth, and very desirable engine.  My average
fuel consumption was just under 6 GPH at WOT up high where I always fly.
 Perhaps because it's an orphan one can buy a nice low-time example for a
really low price and if one did I think they would be fortunate.

*******************

Regarding the mention of props and their vulnerbility to rain.  The
Sterba has a very effective urethane leading edge that protects it very
well when flying in weather.  I can't say as much for the Prince having
ruined my leading edges when I first encountered rain with it.  Other
than it being an absolutely gorgeous prop, the Prince is useless because
of the bent prop tip design that does NOT reduce drag as Lonnie claims.
Rather, it _increases_ tip drag and is a design liability, as are the
leading edges that have no edge protection despite the fact I paid for
edge protection which he claimed it had.  It didn't.   I also paid him to
refinish the prop after my encounter with rain.  It still sits in it's
box, beautiful and useless.  My $1500 hangar queen prop.  I should
probably try and flog it at an aviation-themed restaurant that puts
aviation memorabilia on the walls for decor.  It's sleek and black and
with it's gorgeous compound curves is very much a sculpted art piece.
It's a 52 x 54, cut and drilled for VW.  I've had it on my "I'll get
around to it" list to give to Craig Catto to reshape the tips to a
planform given me by Paul Lipps.  Craig could install leading edge
protection along with reworking the tips.     Craig is an awfully busy
guy though and I've already spent too much on that prop.  I'm very
content with the Sterba I replaced the Prince with.  If anyone wants to
make an offer on the Prince let me know.   Jeff gets along with his
Prince so clearly it can be done and with it's sleek black curves does
add a bit of class to the appearance of any plane.  If one never flies in
weather it will never cause a problem.

Mike
KSEE