almost 30 years ago, when I first got enamored with KR's, I used to
talk with the now-late Bill Reents in Ohio, who flew his KR1 for 20
years. One of the stories he told me was when he repainted the plane
and didnt rebalance the ailerons. He was pulling out of a shallow dive
at 221mph, and got flutter, bad. Said the world went blurry. He knew
to unload the stick and pull off the power and it settled right down,
fortunately with the KR still intact.

I'm not sure how much cured paint weights on a KR aileron, but that
should give an idea about the importance of balancing!