At 3-4% humidity the lumber will only last 2 to 3 hundred years without sealing. Don't know where your KR will be living; however, the environment humidity will most likely go up somewhat and sealing will be needed to preserve that lumber from bacterial assault. Every wood surface in contact with air needs to be sealed including bolt holes before the bolts are inserted and the inside of box spars before the last web is installed. Remember to put a small breathing hole in each otherwise sealed cavity in the box spars to allow air pressure changes to equalize with altitude changes. Mixed epoxy thinned with a small amount of Acetone will work quite well for sealing.

Still dripping,

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
California, MD, USA

The wood in my fuselage is not sealed yet and the humidity in the shop is 3-4%. Do I need to worry or should I run a humidifier to bring the shop up to about 10-12% for a few days before sealing it? I was planning on sealing the wood with thinned West Tech so I could epoxy supports and brackets later. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rodger