Any certificated alternator for a light aircraft will have Battery, Field, and
Ground connections.  That's it as they all use external regulators, whether
mechanical or electronic.  If you apply 12V to the field, there should be an
output on the Battery line.  It's that simple.  That's why the regulators are
usually interchangeable as well.  All the regulator does is sense the battery
voltage and regulates the voltage going to the alternator field to control the
alternator output.  So, if you want a wiring diagram, pick out almost any
aircraft alternator wiring diagram.  They are all very similar as they are all
using the same fundamentals.  I would suggest using a Plane Power installation
diagram as their paperwork tends to explain the operation.  The Aux wire on the
Plane Power alternator that goes to the Aux terminal on the regulator is
unnecessary and is there to trigger the "Alt Failure" light on the panel or
electronic display, so your friend's alternator may or may not have an Aux
terminal.

If I was going to attempt to diagnose it, first I would check the wiring.  If
the wiring is correct and has good continuity from termial to terminal, I would
verify there is voltage present on the Field from the regulator.  If there
isn't, the problem is in the wiring or the regulator.  If there is voltage
present on the field line and no output from the alternator, then the problem
is probably the alternator.

If his alternator is internally regulated, then all bets are off, but they are
a very simple installation.  With an amatuer built plane, you can't assume
anything to be correct, so check continuity of everything, right down to the
crimps on the wire terminators and check that the wiring is actually correct.

-Jeff Scott
Cherokee Village, AR