I don't know what I was thinking when I posted last about using tape on
my wing gaps.  Ken cut some long strips of aluminum, painted white to
match the white of the wings, thin and very flexible with a fitting on
one end that notches onto the trailing edge of the wing & stub, anchoring
it.  It runs forward under the wing, curves upwards over the front of the
wing then runs back to the notched fitting.  There is a fitting on the
lead end which connects to the anchored piece and when in place is hard
to tell is even there it's difficult to detect the wing gap cover is even
there..  It was an ingenious idea of Ken Cottle's - probably borrowed
from someone else or copied from the newsletter at the time (1989).
Releasing it of course leaves no residue (as tape might) when removing it
for checking attach fittings at annuals.  I can't believe my mind has
been so distanced from flying and my plane lately that I forgot how Ken
did such a nice job of covering the wing gaps.

Anyone interested please email me and I'll send detailed pictures of just
what I'm talking about.

The white poly tape I buy is two inch tape that I use for cowling joints.
 Seeing the plane later, a year or two after he had sold it to me, Steve
Bennett asked me what the purpose was of using the white poly tape on the
cowling joints - for speed?  No, I answered.  It was just for looks.
Makes it slicker looking.

Steve and Linda were down here to visit Bob Hoover (VW Bob Hoover), plus
Steve wanted to see if he could get his stiff leg into the plane.  He was
going through surgeries and his left leg was pretty much unbendable.
Mine (his plane formerly) would have been the only possibility of him
ever getting into a KR anymore and he wanted to try.  The reason he
bought N335KC  from Ken Cottle in the first place was that it had such
generous leg room for his long legs.  He got his leg in, with a lot of
effort.  Once he was in I encouraged him to take it up for a spin . . .
but he was too reluctant.   Maybe his medical was expired or maybe Linda
didn't want him to go . . . I'll never know his reasons . . . but it was
sure a lost opportunity.    I regret that I hadn't been more insistent
and encouraging, looking back.

Mike
KSEE