My KR-2 weighs 760 pounds empty; that includes 26 pounds ballast added to the engine mount, ELT moved to front of main spar, 4.6 pounds counter weight removed from the elevator balance, and converting to single-place operation. I used the Diehl wing skin kit; I suspect that may have contributed to some of the excess weight versus the foam and glass layup per the plans. I also abandoned the integral fiberglass wing tanks and installed welded aluminum fuel tanks; a lot of the fiberglass from those tanks is still in the wings. I am also certain that the stock KR-2 plans have a fundamental error regarding the placement of the spars. Moving the wings 2-inches aft on the fuselage would correct that error.

I originally installed Diehl gear legs obtained from NVAero. Steve Glover had advertised that the gear legs were interchangeable between conventional gear and tri-gear. I found this not to be true. Steve has reversed himself and now sells unique sets of gear legs for conventional and for tri-gear. I sold the original Diehl legs from my tri-gear installation to another conventional gear KR-2 builder. I built another set of tri-gear legs using Grumman blanks ($37/pair); these legs are working nicely. Steve is selling this design style now for tri-gear installations.
Here is the template that I used for my tri-gear legs.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/expercraft/sidwood/13255499345b2058d0a2ec4.jpg

One can save lots of time and money in just about any endeavor, if you start off with the correct information in the beginning.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
California, MD, USA