Do you have a picture of area that you are trying to fill?

Based on your description I am imagining that you have a front hinged
canopy with a two arm bracket system where the pivot point is under the
front deck.
The gap that I am also imagining you to try to fill is the area between the
instrument pannel and where the canopy contacts the front deck.

I would think a shelf in this area could be useful. However I would not
want to have it attached to the canopy as any item left on the shelf would
get flipped forward and possibly scratch the canopy from the inside.

Good luck!