I have two sets of "in the ear" headsets.  One is the Quiet Technologies, Halo
Headset ($379), and the other is the Clarity aloft base model ($525).  I like
both models and both have their advantages, and disadvantages.  I use "EATFL1-6
Triple Flange Sleeves" on both headsets rather than the squishy ear plugs.  I
find both headsets to be significantly quieter than the ANR headsets I was
using, although sometimes I have to fiddle with the ear plugs a bit to get them
to seal properly.

The Halo headset is more comfortable and since the actual speakers are located
in the behind the head band with tubes going to the ear, everything on them can
be easily repaired in the field if you break them.  The only draw back was that
I couldn't turn the sound up enough to listen to music from my android in
flight.

The Clarity Aloft Headset has nicer ear pieces making it easier to insert the
ear plugs, and the sound is a bit better if you are plugging your cell phone or
music directly into the headset.  I finally settled on using the Clarity Aloft
headset in the KR mostly because I use the FM receiver on my Android to listen
to FM music while flying and Clarity Aloft headset will let me play the music
loud enough to hear it over the headset.

The down side to using these is that often times the ear plug will pop off the
stem leaving the ear plug in my ear when I take them off.

Since I found both of these headsets to be significantly quieter than my ANR
headsets, I don't currently see any need for ANR for the "in the ear" type of
headset, although no doubt, quieter is better for the ears.

-Jeff Scott
Cherokee Village, AR