Hey Guys, Recently I have picked up a pretty strong vibration right before lift
off and soon after landing. Having looked for it and not finding a problem I
just figured it was tail wheel shimmy on our grooved runway. Yesterday, I
hosted the local EAA Chapter 152 cookout. As things where winding down I took
my friend Larry up in the KR. Larry only weighs 135 lbs. Everything went fine
but I could feel the vibration again on landing. Rolling the KR back into the
hanger and getting ready to close up shop I ask Larry to straighten the rudder
and tailwheel for me. I usually just kick it around straight but trying to be
gentle he knelt down and picked it up by the tailwheel. That's when he called
out that the tailwheel assembly is loose. The Matco has one bolt holding it to
the leaf spring and it had gotten a bit loose letting it move from side to
side. Just as soon as he pointed this out I knew my problem was solved. I guess
where I'm going with this is, If your plane is telling you something, Listen to
it. It was almost embarrassing that he found the problem by accident and I
didn't find it even when looking for it. Looking back I had checked it with
full tail weight on the assembly and wasn't able to see movement.

Mike Sylvester
kr2s builder
Birmingham,AL.

Cell no.205-966-3854