Devin York via KRnet wrote:

>Looking for plans for a KR2S.  NVaero site seems down?

I talked to NVaero owner Steve Glover, and he is aware that the website is down and will work towards reviving it when he gets a chance. He has several much larger issues on his mind now, with almost his entire immediate family nearing end of life issues. Let's give him a bit of breathing room. He doesn't have complete plans sets in stock in the moment, but will work to remedy that.

I'd like to remind folks that one doesn't "make a living" selling KR parts Really, it has to be a labor of love, which is difficult unless one is retired and self sufficient with spare time on their hands. It simply doesn't make economic sense to build and stock practically anything, as KR builders are famously "DIY" folks who'd rather build it themselves than buy it from anybody....regardless of price. Sales volume to KR builders is practically non-existent.

I've said this before....KR builders really need to return to the "good old days" of KR building....back in the 70's and 80's. Back then, a builder might build something like a flap handle or control stick from the plans, or even improve on the design, and then sell completed assemblies or parts kits through the KR Newsletter, depending on what the seller or buyers might be interested in. Nobody made a pile of money, or perhaps ANY money (if they considered their time worth anything), it was more of a labor of love or support for this aircraft design and to help like-minded builders that we all agree makes so much sense for us cheapskate DIY guys to get our butts in the air!

Problem is....we're almost all strapped for time, and if you're on this list, you probably want to spend whatever "spare" time you have building or flying your airplane, rather than building stuff for other folks.....who'd rather build it themselves anyway. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we've all chosen to build this neat little airplane, knowing that the construction process is simple, but full of simple little tasks that add up to to be a considerably time-consuming process.

That's not to say that there are not some huge shortcuts to be had, like buying landing gear that's already cut, welded, and ready for installation, and wing skins, originally offered by Dan Diehl, and now sold by NVaero. Steve at NVaero even went to the trouble of making a set of molds for the "new" airfoil (the "AS504x") skins, that can save a lot of time, yield a very nice looking set of "bubble free" wings, but are expensive to create, ship, and more importantly, keep hanging around waiting for somebody to buy a set. He has a lot of time and money tied up in those molds, and I'm guessing they have a LONG way to go before they pay for themselves, if ever. Keep this kind of stuff in mind when we wonder why there are hardly any folks selling KR-specific parts these days.

For those who don't know about the "new airfoil", see http://www.krnet.org/as504x/ for more on that, with links to full size templates that you can download and carry to Kinkos to build them from.....if you have the time.

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com
http://www.n56ml.com