Mike, I completely agree with you about having a bigger, coarser pitched prop
in order to take bigger chunks out of the air.  I originally started out with a
Culver 54” x 48” (diameter x pitch) propeller, and while it climbed terrific,
it’s cruise speed left much to be desired.  I now run a Sterba 54” x 54” and it
doesn’t climb out quite as good (however I’m talking about maybe a 100-200 fpm
loss, not very much at all) but it’s cruise speed is terrific, and was well
worth the slight loss in climb performance.  I went from nearly 104-105 Knots
TAS at 3200-3300 RPM with the culver, to approximately 110+ KTAS (sometimes in
the 111-112 range) at 3100-3200 RPM with the Sterba.  The 100 RPM may not seem
like much, but over the course of an hour flight, that’s a lot less
revolutions, and hence wear that the engine experiences.

The lower speed of the engine, combined with the additional thrust of the
propeller and the increase in cruise speed, means that there is also a lot more
airflow for cooling, going over the cylinder heads, and also through the oil
cooler.  With the Culver propeller, my oil temperatures were always right
at/slightly over the 220F “green” limit on my engine.  With the higher pitched
Sterba, my oil temperatures have almost never experienced anything over 200F,
and that was on an extremely hot 90+F ambient temperature day in Mississippi.
Up here in WA, they’re usually in the 140F-160F range, almost too cool.

I considered re-sending my propeller back to Ed Sterba to try to have it
re-pitched slightly higher to off-set the increase in power, however after
re-considering I’m just going to keep the 54”x54” as is, and (hopefully) enjoy
the increase in climb performance.  In 50-60F ambient temperatures, I currently
can get about 700-800 FPM with just myself and half fuel, and about 400-500 FPM
with a passenger and full fuel.  I’m hoping after these upgrades it can be
closer to the 1000 FPM solo, and 600-700 FPM with a passenger.  Will post those
results once my engine is back on the plane and running.

Those pictures are impressive, by the way!

V/R

Sam Spanovich
N6399U
74S, Anacortes WA