Interesting. While training for my IFR, we did a long cross country flight
( for fun and to pick up a family member ) we waited for bad weather to
pass on the return trip home. We finally made a decision to go. I was of
course PiC. Withing 10 minutes we flew into weather and I continued to hand
fly the Cherokee 6-300 by hand. I was then told by 2 CFII's , one being a
commercial pilot as well to stop beating myself up and use the autopilot.
So I did. I was told if it has it, use it. That hand flying it placed more
stress on the pilot which could magnify complications and it would put too
much stress on the airplane and possibly result in over controlling the
airplane and a good autopliot was smoother and easier on the aircraft. That
was probably the worst weather I ever flew in and I couldnt see the prop on
the front of the plane. The autopilot sure lowered my stress level .

Jeff York
KR2
Georgetown Scott Co Airport