From: KRnet <krnet-boun...@list.krnet.org> on behalf of Samuel Spanovich via
KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 12:05:44 AM
To: krnet@list.krnet.org <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Cc: Samuel Spanovich <spanovich...@gmail.com>
Subject: KR> New Guy

Hey there Anthony, and welcome to the KR world!  If you’re looking for a plane
that is cost effective, efficient, fast, and pretty reliable for the most part
(more of a function of the builder/engine), you could not find a better
airplane. You’ll find that most “stock” KR-2S’s can do about 120-130 mph in
cruise with a 65-70HP VW motor, at about 4-5 gallons per hour.  These are way
better figures than you’ll get out of a Cessna 150/152 and about on par (if not
slightly better) than a Cessna 172/PA-28 series. If you consider a KR-2S with a
Corvair, or even an O-200, forget it, there is no comparison there; you’ll be
looking at a 160-170mph airplane.

For gross weight considerations; this is mainly just a factor of who builds and
signs off on the plane. Since it’s experimental, the builder can set the gross
weight they desire. My KR weighs ~650 lbs empty, with a gross weight of 1150,
and holds 12 gallons of fuel; this gives me a payload of about 430 lbs, which
is good for me and my wife and a carry on bag of luggage if we take a XC
somewhere. I’ve heard of some builders set their gross weight to 980 lbs, and
some as high as 1200 lbs.

On the other hand, while the gross weight is fairly forgiving, the center of
gravity is not. If you do purchase a KR, make sure you know EXACTLY (and I mean
exactly) where the center of gravity is when empty, and when full. When you
start getting into the aft 2” of the CG envelope, the plane gets very
squirrels, and even the most skilled pilots have trouble in this configuration.
I won’t elaborate too much right now, but CG is very important in this
airplane. Mark Langford has several terrific articles on this subject (and
virtually everything else as well).

But assuming you have done everything correctly (which I have no doubt you
will), once you are up in the air, oh this plane is so fun to fly. While it is
not really a true “hands off” airplane (when compared to a Cessna/Piper), it
does fly very smooth In calm air.  It doesn’t take turbulence too well, since
it is so light and the wing loading is fairly minimal, but if you’re like me
and are an adrenaline junkie, I love the roller coaster ride!  In regard to
roll/pitch, the controls I feel are crisp, but not too sensitive.  The bubble
canopy, and the crisp controls also almost give the feel of a small tactical
jet, just not nearly as fast, which is unfortunate.

You could find nearly a million engine choices for this airframe, but the two
most common seem to be Volkswagen variants (Revmaster, and Great Plains), and
Corvair 6 cylinder engines. Long story short, both are great choices and there
is a lot of information on this forum regarding both engines. I am running a
Revmaster 2100D with electronic ignition, 94mm cylinders, and a CB2232
Camshaft.  It produces about 80HP.

You could write an entire novel about these airplanes given enough time, so
I’ll stop here for now, but please feel free to reach out to myself, or
virtually any other person on here if you want more info; we’re always eager to
discuss our airplanes!  Good luck in your search for an airplane!  The KR is a
solid choice!

Lastly, I’m a bit far from Minnesota, but if you ever find yourself out in
Washington, please let me know when/where and I can show you my airplane!

V/R

Sam Spanovich
N6399U
74S, Anacortes WA