Brad at Great Western Airsports wrote:

VDO has never let me down in various aircraft, various setups, lots of hours.

Yep, that's exactly what I used on N56ML. Having been a VW fanatic since before I could drive, I'm a big fan of Bosch, VDO, Hella, etc, so I installed a VDO 226-001 sending unit in my right tank. It failed with just a few hundred hours of flying.

I've had much worse problems with VDO oil pressure senders, both on 56ML and 971JF. They get a bit whacko and start fluctuating wildly, almost always reading lower than actual oil pressure, so I get nervous and install a new one, which works for another hundred or two hours until it happens again. I have a box with about seven dead pressure sensors in it, and one day tested them with regulated air pressure and they were all way off or dead entirely. And no, they're not mounted directly to the engine, I've always fastened them to non-vibrating surfaces like oil filter adapter, which is bolted to the firewall.

No more input from anybody else? Nobody has a fuel level sensor with 500 hours on it that you'd swear by?

If anybody's interested, see http://www.n56ml.com/wingtank.html for more on how I did the tanks in N56ML. I still think that was a pretty good way to do it, other than not making the fuel sensor easily replaceable. I could have done that by providing a mounting hole and an access panel in the wing, but eventually I just used a fuel totalizer, which I reset after filling up. I used a 6 minute timer to transfer fuel from the left tank to the right tank, which was half the tank. On 891JF I use a "calibrated" paint stick to check before each flight, but if I'm going anywhere other than local, I just fill it up before I leave, and fill it up again on the way back, and call it good enough. I plan for 4 gph (but usually throttled back and doing better than that) with a 14 gallon tank.
--
Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com