Hi Mark,

Thank you for all of your efforts on behalf of the KR community.

This is Dan Branstrom, and I have two problems. The first is that I'm getting every email, instead of a digest. The second is that somehow, the information for my log-in is wrong, so, while I receive everything from the list, I can't post. IIRC, I determined that somehow my name has a double letter in it, like Bbranstrom, and that prevents my log-in to post. Now, when I go to https://list.krnet.org/listinfo/krnet, I get the dreaded 404 Not Found error message.

On another, current, topic I've worked as an electrician, and, if one goes to the National Electrical Code, ampacity (amperage capacity) of wires is determined by, not only the size of the wire, but the insulation, the size of the wire bundle, and if it is run in conduit or buried or in free air. Modern wire coatings, like THHN are allowed to carry higher amperages than older coatings. It has to do with the melting point of the coating for the rating. Theoretically, a 14 gauge THHN coated wire can carry 30 amps, but the code has a notation that restricts it to 15 amps, probably because of the heat generated involved. Wire in free air has a higher approved capacity than wire in a conduit because of heat that they all can generate individually. The tables for milspec wiring are for a particular insulation.

Of course, with wires heating up with high amperage running through them, their resistance goes up, too, and with more resistance, more heat is generated.

I'm of two minds about the use of welding wire to the starter. It is flexible, and the many small, flexible wires that it contains make it ideal for high vibration environments. Since starters are not run continuously, they can easily handle the power. My only question is how it holds up over time exposed to the high heat and possibly oil soaked environment. I believe it needs to be inspected more often than wire used in normally certified aircraft.

Thanks again,

Dan Branstrom