Joe's email about the magnetic compass spoke in the past tense about his N357CJ. I was talking to Larry Howell the other day about working on Joe Horton’s plane, and he asked if I had bought Joe’s plane. As Joe mentioned, he's nearing completion of the “Dr. Dean” plane, and hadn’t been flying N357CJ much anyway, so he sold it to me. He didn’t NEED to sell it to me, he sold it to me because I kept whining about how squirrelly N891JF is on our 40’ wide runway here, compared to N56ML (especially in a stiff crosswind), so he sold it to me either out of compassion, or so he wouldn’t have to listen to me whine anymore! And he’s going to need the hangar space soon anyway. Dr. Dean’s plane has been in the hands of several folks since Dr. Dean lost interest and went on to other things, but Joe is going to finish this thing, and soon!

Although I only have three landings with it so far, I can tell you that I have a whole new appreciation for nose wheels! After leaving his airport in PA, on my final landing at M38 I was racing a thundershower to the airport in some windy weather, was a bit fast, landing a bit long, and not even lined up properly with the runway, and I managed an uneventful landing with absolutely no drama on roll-out, and stopped with runway left over! What a dream. And I can actually see where I’m going when taxiing!

I’ve been making some fairly minor changes to it for the last few months, swapping the iFly 740 for a tablet running iFly, checking things over and learning more about it, tweaking the EIS, doing some routine maintenance, and moving some controls around a bit. I’ll be flying it again shortly, certainly in time for Oshkosh, and have laid out an awesome paint job for it…. flamingo pink with the same purple lightning bolts. Unlike N891JF (which is “sky blue”), this plane will really show up in the sky!

For more info on the Dr. Dean plane, take a look at Eduardo Barros’ Argentine plane at http://www.krnet.org/krs/ebarros/, which was inspired by Dr. Dean’s “sexy” lines. Dean used eighth inch spruce strips that he heated in a home-made steamer, bent into curved sections, and glued them together to "freeze" the curve, , and joining them with foam and fiberglass. Eduardo’s plane has been flying for years, and he has a large web presence. Search for Eduardo Barros KR2-egb “Zondo” for photos and construction info. When Joe finishes up, we’ll have more photos of that process, and we'll put them on KRnet, along with the finished plane photos.
--
Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com