On 7/11/2022 8:34 PM, MS wrote:
but if it's a conventional gear KR, filling up the header and lifting the tail will tell you how tail heavy the plane is.  In my experience with two of them this lifetime, the KR has a wide CG range that, if exceeded, can be easily compensated for with extra speed if necessary.   Both my KR's have let me get away with murder, but both KR's were built by engineers who were precise with their work.  Assuming a KR has been built with finesse, my impression is they are very forgiving.

I'm amazed that someone with your experience takes such a cavalier attitude to weight and balance of an aircraft.  Tail light or heavy tells you nothing about the CG location but rather the location of the landing gear in relation to the CG.  An aircraft with uncontrollable aft CG might have a light tail if the gear is close to the CG location and a very nose heavy aircraft could have a heavy tail if the gear is mounted well forward.  The actual CG must be determined with scales, measurements, and math. An engineer  / designer will try to place the main gear on a conventional gear aircraft as close to the CG as possible for the best possible ground handling. In the case of the C140 they went a bit too far and made the airplane extremely tail light and pilots were putting the airplane on the nose with excessive braking.  The fix was to modify the gear and place the wheels about 4 inches further forward.  Lifting the tail before and after the mod would not give you the location of the CG but only the relative location of the gear to the CG.  The CG location never changed only the tail weight.  Was the CG location correct?  Only scales, measurements, and math can determine that.

As far as the KR letting you get away with murder, I'm thinking the design more likely kept you from committing suicide. CG should not be taken lightly............

Larry Flesner