From: KRnet <krnet-boun...@list.krnet.org> on behalf of MS <propbala...@att.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2023 9:03 PM
To: krnet@list.krnet.org <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Subject: KRnet> High Altitude Upset

"Stick and rudder talks about high altitude upset. Can this happen to a heavy
KR2S?"

**********************

High Altitude Upset normally refers to what can happen when the razor thin
margin between barely-unstalled wings and the critical Mach for a particular
design get too close to each other. Particularly susceptible are planes with
swept wings.  Also referred to as "coffin corner" and also referred to as "mach
tuck".  I can't imagine anyone using these terms in relation to a KR :-).
(Maybe Richard Shirley's?[Emoji])  Also can't imagine the phenomenon being
written about in Stick & Rudder (1944) when jet aerodynamics were only
beginning to be understood (except surely by the Germans).  But who knows?
Langewiesche's work was the aviator's bible . . . and still is when it comes to
clear explanations of the elementals of flight.

This phenomenon wasn't entirely unknown (thanks to Wikipedia) even in 1944,
having first been encountered with the P-38, the fastest fighter to come out of
the war.

Mike
KSEE