I was working on setting up an on premises kubernetes cluster using
vagrant. The cluster is the default multi VM cluster which I set up
following the docs at
https://coreos.com/kubernetes/docs/latest/kubernetes-on-vagrant.html that
uses CoreOS.

Following the instructions at
https://medium.com/@rothgar/exposing-services-using-ingress-with-on-prem-kubernetes-clusters-f413d87b6d34#.cclkvdn9s

I set up a pod and its associated service. So far so good and I was able to
have the pod and Service running. The details of both are as below.

$ kube-ctl describe pod microbot-1276362308-i65nt|grep -i node
Node:           172.17.4.201/172.17.4.201

$ kubectl describe svc microbot
Name:                   microbot
Namespace:              default
Labels:                 run=microbot
Selector:               run=microbot
Type:                   NodePort
IP:                     10.3.0.29
Port:                   <unset> 80/TCP
NodePort:               <unset> 31643/TCP
Endpoints:              10.2.43.6:80
Session Affinity:       None
No events.

Running curl on from the host to 172.17.4.201:31643 gets me the required
result.

To this I added the nginx replication controller from
https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib using the example mentioned here
https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib/tree/master/ingress/controllers/nginx/examples/default.

The sole change was the backend service the yaml to be microbot.

Lastly I added the ingress to the cluster

apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
kind: Ingress
metadata:
    name: microbot-ingress
spec:
    rules:
    - host: microbot
      http:
          paths:
          - path: /
            backend:
                serviceName: microbot
                servicePort: 80

Watching the logs on the nginx controller I can see it reload and if I get
the conf, the microbot details are reflected. However when I try to call
the url to host microbot I get a cannot connect to server error

$ curl -L --resolve microbot:80:172.17.4.201 http://microbot/
curl: (7) Failed to connect to microbot port 80: Connection refused

In the example that I had linked to, the traefik controller is used and it
gives the same result. I came across a similar question here -
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35532801/kubernetes-ingress-controller-on-vagrant

but the OP doesnt mention anything about how he was able to fix it.

So is there something very obvious that I may be missing from the steps
with regards to setup or the usage of the IP because it seems like it
should work.

Any help would be appreciated