We could (and will) do a much better job with documentation, but on GKE,
you can set an image type, in a node pool, that lets you use whatever image
you want.

https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/alpha/container/node-pools/create

In this way, you could use any image with any kernel that supports what you
need.