Turns out in 1.3.6 we actually delete docker0:
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/blob/v1.3.6/cluster/gce/gci/configure-helper.sh#L458

It was fixed recently https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/31637.
I think v1.4.0 will have the fix.  I don't know if there are plans to fix
it in 1.3 branch.