Brief answer why we are not using kube-aws directly right now:

   - It uses a single master EC2 instance --- we want to have an ASG for
   the master nodes (probably running with size 1 usually, but having the
   option for more, e.g. during updates/migrations etc)
   - It runs etcd on the master --- we want to run etcd separately
   (currently we use our own 3 node etcd appliance with DNS discovery (SRV
   records))
   - It does not configure an ELB for the API server --- we want to
   terminate SSL at ELB in order to leverage existing SSL infrastructure
   (including ACM)
   - It uses a single CF template --- we want to split into at least 3 CF
   templates to facilitate future upgrades and extra node pools (one for etcd
   cluster, one for master and one for worker nodes)

We therefore adapted the generated Cloud Formation to YAML and are using
our own Senza Cloud Formation tool <https://github.com/zalando-stups/senza>
for deployment (it's not doing any magic, but e.g. makes ELB+DNS config
easy).

I'll put our current (hacked) config into some public repo tomorrow...

- Henning