Sorry, I should have been clearer about what I am observing. My nodes
/etc/resolv.conf lists 3 name servers and 3 search domains. However, my
containers show only a single name server, as specified by the kubelet. The
search domain list is properly extended to 6 entries, being prefixed with
the 3 expected cluster domains.

The only dns related configuration I've used are the kubelet flags:

--cluster-dns=10.3.0.10
--cluster-domain=cluster.local

What else would play into this?

Thanks,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Matthias Rampke <m...@soundcloud.com> wrote:

> To debug, you can `kubectl exec` into a kubedns pod and inspect the
> /etc/resolv.conf it got.
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016, 01:52 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion
> and Q&A <kubernetes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> kube-dns should pass-thru to whatever nameserver(s) are configured in
>> the node's resolv.conf
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Todd VanderVeen
>> <todd.vanderv...@collectivemedicaltech.com> wrote:
>> > I've setup a k8s 1.4 cluster with the kubedns addon. In-cluster
>> resolution
>> > is working as expected, but external names cannot be resolved. As I
>> > understand it, the nodes defined nameservers are used for resolution
>> (with
>> > the caveat that only 3 entries are permitted, with skydns taking one)
>> > outside of the cluster. Am I misunderstanding this  expected behavior,
>> or do
>> > external nameservers need to be explicitly configured somehow?
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> --

Todd VanderVeen
*Collective Medical Technologies*