I apologize for this rather basic question but I've had a hard time finding
a canonical answer.  I have a bare-metal ubuntu 16.04 cluster that I'm
trying to run kubernetes on.  I've managed to get it setup using kubeadm
using the standard install docs but they later advice against using kubeadm
in production because its "alpha" software.  I've also been having problems
like the kube-dns service not resolving non-cluster names (e.g. google.com)
but I don't even know how to get started debugging it because kubeadm set
all that stuff up and its a bit of a black box.  Is there a good guide for
setting up a bare-metal kubernetes cluster?  I've come across the
"kubernetes the hard way" guide but that seems to be focused on cloud
providers and it also admits that it forces you to do a lot of manual work
that's not necessary.

So what is the recommended way to deploy a bare-metal kubernetes cluster in
production?

Thanks!