Had the same problem and also was in contact with Google support.

Currently the GKE API lacks idempotence which the Deployment Manager needs.
So creating usually goes well, but updating (especially with custom pools)
does not.

As far as I know, this is being worked on and takes a few more weeks.
(Status of April this year)

We've decided to no use GDM for GKE for now since we want to do more stuff
to GKE that wouldn't play nicely with GDM anyway.