Kuberentes will be giving a /24 to each node, not each pod.  Each node will
give one IP out of that /24 to a pod it controls.  This default means you
can have 253 pods-per-node.  This of course can be adjust depending on the
size of your pods and nodes.

This means that you can fully utilize the /16 for pods (minus per-node
network, broadcast, gateway)

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 4:36 PM, David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
wrote:

> According to the docs, k8s can support systems of up to 150000 pods.  (See
> https://kubernetes.io/docs/admin/cluster-large/)  But given k8s'
> networking model, I'm a bit puzzled on how that would work.
>
> It seems like a typical setup is to assign a service-cluster-ip-range with
> a /16 CIDR.  (Say 10.254.0.0/16)  However, I notice that my cluster
> assigns a full /24 IP range to each pod that it creates.  (E.g., pod1 gets
> 10.254.1.*, pod2 gets 10.254.2.*, etc.)  Given this networking setup, it
> would seem that Kubernetes would only be capable of launching a maximum of
> 256 pods.
>
> Am I misunderstanding how k8s works in this r?  Or is it that the
> networking would need to be configured differently to support more than 256
> pods?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR

  • [kubernetes-users]... David Rosenstrauch
    • Re: [kubernet... Ben Kochie
      • Re: [kube... David Rosenstrauch
        • Re: [... Matthias Rampke
        • Re: [... David Rosenstrauch
          • R... Matthias Rampke
            • ... David Rosenstrauch
              • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A