Hi Warren,
PodPreset doesn't support init containers yet, so behavior you are
observing is expected. There is a proposal to add support for init
containers in Beta version of PodPreset, but thats not coming out soon.

As a workaround, I would recommend exploring Initializers
<https://kubernetes.io/docs/admin/extensible-admission-controllers/> to
achieve that.