Matt,

I'm running three VirtualBox VMs:

Master: 1 vCPU, 4 GB RAM, 20 GB HDD
Workers: 1 vCPU, 2 GB RAM, 20 GB HDD

This should be plenty of CPU, RAM, and HDD space for a test cluster. You
can adjust accordingly if you plan on testing any significant workloads.

All are running CentOS 7.4 with static IP addresses in the same subnet, and
swap disabled. From this point, I recommend reading the instructions at
https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/independent/create-cluster-kubeadm/ very
carefully before actually proceeding step by step. When you get to the
point of choosing a Pod Network Plugin, I use and recommend Calico.

Kris Dockery
Support Engineer
Heptio