Hi Martin,

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 8:40 AM, <martin.kuhn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently I run a virtual server for a web application. The stack is based
> on docker.
>
> I have 1 docker container for Nginx which acts as reverse proxy for the
> nodejs backend. Than  2 docker containers running the NodeJS Backend and 1
> container for a NoSQL DB (ArangoDB). Of course the NodeJS Backend talks to
> the DB...
>
> Now I would be interested in replacing this infrastructure with something
> cloud based. So I stumbled across google cloud and especially GKE and
> Kubernetes.
>
> So my question: is there a tutorial or something which shows the
> establishment of such a stack.

You might take a look at
https://cloud.google.com/kubernetes-engine/docs/tutorials/guestbook which
shows how to deploy a simple multi-tier web application on GKE. You might
note that it uses a Kubernetes service with an external load balancer in
place of the nginx reverse proxy you mention, but the reverse proxy (with a
NodePort service) would also work.

> Can anybody of you give me an advice?
>
> Would this to be a good choice for such a replacement?
>
> Can you predicate the cost of such a GKE deployment (low data volume, < 1
> GB, currently I have a 8 GB virtual server, 2 virtual cores, the RAM is
> mainly used for the DB but not really needed)

The Google Cloud Pricing Calculator
<https://cloud.google.com/products/calculator/#tab=container> can give you
an idea of much much it would cost to run such a deployment (it will vary a
bit based on geography).