I would like to take particular actions when a K8 Pod, or the node its running
on, crashes/restarts/etc -- basically notify another part of the application
that this has happened. I also need this to be guaranteed to execute. Can a
kubernetes PreStop hook accomplish this? From my understanding, these are
generally used to gracefully shutdown containers when a pod is deleted and the
hook handler is guaranteed to run. It seems like most people use them in
scenarios where they are shutting things down themselves.

Will the hooks also run when a node unexpectedly crashes? If not, is there a
kubernetes solution for what I'm trying to accomplish?