I created an HTTP LB setup on GCP using a golang HTTP server without
kubernetes and was able to see rare long-tail latencies in >1 second. After
I set `IdleTimeout` to larger than ten minutes, I stopped seeing those slow
`keepalive_timeout`  (sent PR to update this).

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/load-balancing/http/#timeouts_and_retries

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 8:08:26 AM UTC-7, ama...@upstream.tech wrote:

> On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 5:10:55 PM UTC-4, francois...@polynom.io
> wrote:
> > Le jeudi 19 avril 2018 02:14:28 UTC+2, Dave Jensen a écrit :
> > > We have what I believe to be a very straightforward ingress setup on
> GKE. However, we started noticing random slowdowns almost immediately. On
> further investigation it looked like the time to first byte (TTFB) was very
> slow (1 - 3 seconds) but sporadically. Sometimes it would be a pre-flight
> OPTIONS request, sometimes an application request, and other times on
> static files. Even the echoserver would sporadically have a long TTFB.
> > >

> > > I set up a portforward to one of the pods serving up our REST API
> server. Sure enough, the slowdown was eliminated.
> > >

> > > Before I go down the rabbit hole of trying other ingress controllers,
> I figured I'd ask the community if I was doing something wrong.
> > >

> > > ingress.yaml
> > >

> > > apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
> > > kind: Ingress
> > > metadata:
> > >   name: brewd-ingress
> > > spec:
> > >   tls:
> > >   - hosts:
> > >     - stage-api2.example.com
> > >     - stage-app2.example.com
> > >     - stage-echo.example.com
> > >     secretName: redacted
> > >   rules:
> > >   - host: stage-api2.example.com
> > >     http:
> > >       paths:
> > >       - backend:
> > >           serviceName: gateway-service
> > >           servicePort: 7000
> > >   - host: stage-app2.example.com
> > >     http:
> > >       paths:
> > >       - backend:
> > >           serviceName: web-service
> > >           servicePort: 8080
> > >   - host: stage-echo.example.com
> > >     http:
> > >       paths:
> > >         - backend:
> > >             serviceName: echoserver
> > >             servicePort: 8080
> > > gateway-service.yaml
> > >

> > > apiVersion: v1
> > > kind: Service
> > > metadata:
> > >   name: gateway-service
> > >   labels:
> > >     app: gateway
> > > spec:
> > >   type: NodePort
> > >   ports:
> > >   - port: 7000
> > >   selector:
> > >     app: gateway
> > > ---
> > > apiVersion: apps/v1beta2
> > > kind: Deployment
> > > metadata:
> > >   name: gateway-deployment
> > > spec:
> > >   selector:
> > >     matchLabels:
> > >       app: gateway
> > >   replicas: 1
> > >   template:
> > >     metadata:
> [...]

      • [kub... Dave Jensen
        • ... Dave Jensen
          • ... marshall
          • ... Rodrigo Campos
            • ... 'Kenneth Massada' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Dave Jensen
              • ... Rodrigo Campos
  • [kubernetes-u... 'Bowei Du' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
  • [kubernetes-u... francois . bossiere
    • [kuberne... amadou
      • [kub... 'Nicks' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
        • ... Dave Jensen
          • ... Dave Jensen
            • ... rmurphy
              • ... shyam kishore alapati