TL;DR - This list will be folded into discuss.kubernetes.io as of 15
September 2018. Your access to this platform will be from an opt-in email
or feel free to sign up now. Discuss preserves what we love about google
groups with added security benefits and a robust API. More details are
below.

projects’ inception. As the community has grown, so has the sprawl of our
communication platforms and the limitations of them, including this mailing
list, have become more pronounced. In this particular list, spam has been a
major issue which makes moderating for an open source community difficult
without a walled garden. Also, many other platforms have user discussion of
the same variety.

After researching our options, adding more moderators to the list, is a
method that just won’t scale. User-trust and Akismet systems do scale and
is one of the main reasons we, and other open source communities
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-is-the-by-far-most-awesome-solution-for-open-source-community-platforms/77263>,
think moving this mailing list to a discourse based open source forum is a
better option for everyone: discuss.kubernetes.io.

We are proposing that Kubernetes uses discuss.kubernetes.io as our
user-facing discussion platform to reduce channels and provide us with more
features. Outside of a better moderation system, discuss.k8s.io brings the
following benefits to you and the community as a whole:

   -

   Very low bar for participation. You can use existing social logins or a
   local account.
   -

   Post and receive messages via your email client or forum so no bumps in
   your routine - digests are even possible. We’ve created some tips with
   videos to show you <https://discuss.kubernetes.io/tags/site-tips>.
   -

   Markdown and code snippets from GitHub or other repositories are easily
   embeddable.
   -

   Integrate user discussions with the Kubernetes website where the user
   docs are stored making this a smooth branded experience for users.
   -

   The discourse API is robust which means anything you can do with the UI,
   you can automate with the API. This leaves a lot of future opportunity.
   -

   Addition of broad and granular categories embraces other subjects that
   would be offtopic on this mailing list and allows you to set standards on
   whatever you consider noise. You can get subscriptions based on those
   categories of interest.

Next steps:

We’ll be making kubernetes-users@ list read-only on 15 September 2018. The
kubernetes-users@ list would become a public archive - you will still be
able to see the messages but no new posts would be accepted, and no new
members could join.

You will get an opt-in message from Jorge Castro, a Kubernetes Community
Manager, with an easy one click sign up in the next few days.

We’d like to hear from you if you see any major red flags with moving to
the discuss.kubernetes.io platform. Reach out to us at
commun...@kubernetes.io. We want to make this a smooth transition.

If you’d like to see where this originated, here is the issue
<https://github.com/kubernetes/community/issues/2492>.